The “printer in error state” is typically displayed in Windows 10 when the device is low on ink or paper, its cover is open, or it is not connected correctly. Firstly, you have to check all printer cables and connections. Ensure the devices are connecting to one another; try with a distinct USB port, and check whether the wireless network or the wired network cable used for the connection is working fine.
Also, turn off your printer and check for jammed paper. If it has, then clear the same and close all trays. If the printer is actually low on ink, then refill it. If you are using a wireless printer, then turn on its Wi-Fi and your modem router.
Make Changes to the Printer Port Settings
- Press Windows and R keys at the same time, key in devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This opens the Device Manager.
- Click on its View menu and select Show hidden devices.
- Then, expand Ports (COM & LPT), right-click on your Printer Port and select Properties. This opens the Printer Port (LPT1) Properties.
- In the dialog box, switch to Port Settings and select the checkboxes Use any interrupt assigned to the port and Enable legacy Plug and Play detection.
- Click on Apply and on OK buttons, reboot the Windows system, and check whether the printer is detected and working correctly.
Check if the Print Spooler Service is Running
- Press Windows and R keys simultaneously, key in services.msc, and click OK. This opens the list of Windows services.
- Scroll down to the list and double-click the Print Spooler This opens Print Spooler Properties.
- Ensure the service is Started, and configure its Startup type to Automatic.
- Switch to the Recovery tab, and configure First failure to Restart the Service.
- Then click on Apply and OK for confirmation of the changes.
- Check whether the printer is back online and working.
Clear Files of the Print Spooler
You need to clear the files in the system and restart print spooler also. They help to fix most printer-related issues.
- First, open Print Spooler Properties and click on the Stop
- Open Windows Explorer, type C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86 on its address bar, and press Enter. In addition, delete the files in the destination folder named C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers
- Then Start the Spooler service and confirm the changes, and check whether the printer is working. Restarting the service will fix the printer spooler error also.
Remove the Printer Driver from Windows and Reinstall it
If the error persists, then try to reinstall the printer driver. For that, first you have to uninstall it from the system.
- Disconnect the printer USB cable from the computer.
- Open the Device Manager as mentioned above.
- Expand Printers and Scanners.
- Right-click the printer driver, and click on uninstall device.
When the pop-up You are about to uninstall the best printers for chromebook from your system appears, select delete the driver software for this device, and click Uninstall to continue. Once it is completed, reboot the computer.
Now, you have to install the printer driver again. You can download the driver from the website of your printer manufacturer. Make it a point to download it according to your printer model, and install it in your system by running the setup file and following the onscreen instructions.
Steps to Add or Install a Wireless Printer
Navigate to Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners. Choose the Add a printer button. Wait for the system to find nearby or available printers, then select the one you need, and choose Add device. In case the device is on and connected to your network, the Windows OS should be able to find it. Available printers can comprise those on a network, like Bluetooth and wireless printers, or those plugged into another PC and shared on your network. To add some printers, you might require permission.
Steps to Add or Install a Local Printer
In case you need to connect to the printer, plug its connected USB cable’s end into the PC’s USB port also, and turn it on. Then, click on the Add a printer button as mentioned above. Wait for Windows to find available or nearby printers, select the one you need, and click on Add device. If prompted, select the driver from the downloaded destination.
Installing up-to-date driver might help fix the “printer is in error state” and several other similar issues. If it persists though, then you also have the option to get in touch with our printer support professionals through the toll-free number for an advanced solution.