Run The Printer Self-Tests
There are different types of printer issues, and in most cases, the print spooler will be at fault. Hence, it is common for people to mull over the topic how to fix print spooler error. Worry not, there are many printer self-tests to identify most of these errors. You can refer your printer manual in order to perform the self-test. Alternatively, follow the steps given below to run the software self-test so that you can figure out whether your computer can detect the printer and it is able to do the print jobs.
For Microsoft Windows 7, 8, and 10 Users
- Open the Control Panel. In the dropdown list, double-click on the Printers, Devices and Printers, or Printers and Fax The option varies in different OS versions. Then, a list of printers connected to your computer will appear on the screen.
- From the list, right click on the printer you would like to test and select the Properties or Printer Properties In the case that you are not able to see the printer, it indicates that your printer is not properly installed.
- If you see the printer listed, click on the Print Test Page button in the Properties
- Check whether the printer can print the test page; if yes, the computer can detect the printer and the software is set up properly. In case you are not able to print, contact printer tech support team for advanced troubleshooting.
For the Older Versions of Windows
If you are using an older version of Windows such as Windows 3.x, Windows 95, MS-DOS, Windows NT, or Windows 98, follow the steps given below in order to run the software test.
- Go to the Windows command line or MS-DOS prompt
- Type cd\ in order to go the root directory
- Type dir>lpt1 in the root directory, so that you can reroute the directory to the printer. If you are able to print the directly listing after this step, your printer is installed properly. Else, check the operating system troubleshooting methods in the manual.
It is also recommended to check if the printer drivers are up-to-date as well, if your printer is not working correctly. Contact a reliable printer repair services provider for more tips on how to fix printer spooler error.