Call our Toll free Number
Talk to Our Tech Support Experts
Watch The Tech Fixing Your Problem
100% Certified Support Technicians.
In case you are using Windows 7 or 10 and you keep seeing the error which says your print spooler is not running, you are one among the thousands facing the same issue. You do not have to worry because there are ways to fix it. Below is a discussion on ways to fix this issue. The print spooler is a service provided by the Windows. It manages all the print jobs that pass through your printer. The printer will stop functioning if the service stops running. The following are some effective ways to solve this issue.
Method 1: Restart the Print Spooler service
1) From your keyboard, click the Windows logo key and R together to open the Run box.
2) Type services.msc and click Enter to get to the Services window:
3) First Click Print Spooler and then Restart by checking how to restart print spooler.
4) Try and see if the printer functions.
Method 2: Check if the Print Spooler service is set to Automatic
In case the print spooler service is not set to automatic, it will not be automatically switched on when the Windows starts. Therefore, the printer will not print unless you start the service manually.
Follow the below steps to set this service to auto mode.
1) Take to your keyboard and click the Windows logo key and R simultaneously to open up the Run Box.
On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type services.msc and press Enter to open the Services window:
3) Right-click on the Print Spooler option and then click on Properties.
4) Ensure that the Startup type is changed to Automatic, then click Apply, and then OK.
5) Try to work the printer to see if it works.
Method 3: Change the Print Spooler Recovery options
In case the print spooler recovery settings are not properly set, the print spooler will not start automatically. This could happen due to other reasons too. Follow the below steps to ensure the correct recovery process.
1) Click the Windows logo key and R button simultaneously to bring the Run box.
2) Type services.msc and click Enter to open the Services window.
3) Right click on the Print Spooler and then select Properties.
4) Select Recovery and ensure that all three failure fields are changed to Restart the Service. After this, click Apply and then OK.
5) Now you may check if the printer is functional.
Method 4: Delete Your Print Spooler Files
In case your pending print jobs are piling up, they may also cause the spooler to stop. You can delete the print spooler files and clear the pending print jobs. This may sometimes solve the problem.
1) Press the Windows logo key along with the R button simultaneously to bring up the Run box.
2) Type down services.msc and click Enter to bring the Services window
3) Press the Print Spooler, then click Stop.
4) Click the “— “ sign to minimize the Services window.
5) On your keyboard, click the Windows logo key and E simultaneously and open the Windows File Explorer.
6) Follow the path and go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS:
In case there is a request for permission, select continue.
7) Then you may delete the files in the printers folder. Once you have done this, you may confirm that the folder is completely empty.
8) Access the Run box again by pressing the Windows logo key and R simultaneously.
9) Type control and click Enter to access the Control Panel
10) Within the open window, select the view according to Catalog. Now select View devices and printers.
11) Right-click on the printer and select Remove device.
12) Now come back and select Services icon present on your taskbar to go back to Services window.
13) Select the Print Spooler option and then Start.
14) Choose the Devices and Printers icon from the taskbar and go back to Devices and Printers window
15) Now, right-click within the blank area and select Add a printer. This should be followed by a set of instructions that appear on the screen to add your printer back.
16) Try to run the printer and see if it works.
Method 5: Update your printer driver
Another error may be caused by an incorrect or old printer driver. There are options to update the printer driver easily in a manual way. There is also a way of updating the driver automatically using Driver Easy. This automatically recognizes the system and finds the appropriate drivers for it. This method ensures that there are no confusions regarding the system running in your computer, with downloading or installing the driver. These mistakes would be avoided when you use this option.
Above are some of the effective methods that can be used for printer spooler error. Make sure you follow the instructions closely.