Common Printer Issues
Printing issues on MS Word can be particular to specific templates or documents. In case you come across an error that indicates printing problems related to a Word document, try the below troubleshooting steps to fix it. Note that one of these troubleshooting steps can be used as a last resort to resolve a printer spooler error as well, so that is not specific to just printing issues on Word, but a general one.
Take a Test Printout of Other Word Documents
In case you cannot print a document on MS Word, close it and print a new one instead. This can confirm if the problem is specific to only the document or caused by a corrupt template. Follow the below steps to create a new document on MS Word 2010 and test print the file.
- Open the word processing software, click File button on the top left corner, and choose New. Then, a new dialog box will pop up on the computer.
- Under its Templates section, make sure that Blank document is selected, and click on Create
- Enter some dummy text in the document, and use the Ctrl + S shortcut key combination to save the file on the desktop your computer.
- Now with the new document open, press and hold down Ctrl and P keys simultaneously, and click OK to confirm Print.
In case the test print is successful, you need to create a fresh custom template to fix the printing error. However, in case you cannot print the new file as well, try the next step to troubleshoot the issue.
Rename the Template Titled Normal.
- Exit MS Word, and press the Windows button on the keyboard to open the Start Menu.
- In the search box, type Normal followed by .dotm extension.
- Once with an exclamation mark appears on the search results, right-click on the file, click Open File Location, and then manually rename it to Normal.old
When done, open the new document again, and see if you can print the file now. Yet again, note that you may not be able to print other documents created by means of the previous template. To find out which template created the documents with printing problems, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Word document you cannot print, and click on the Developer tab on the Menu
- Choose Document Template on the far right, and check which one is mentioned under Document Template
- In case you cannot find the Developer tab, click File button, choose Word Options, and select Show Developer tab in the Ribbon
Create a Fresh Custom Template
In case the Template mentioned under the first tab is not Normal, create a new one on MS Word 2010. For that:
- Click File on the upper left, and choose New.
- Under Templates, click on Blank Document and click Create
- In the new document that pops up, create a template the way in which you want that to appear.
- Then, navigate to File > Save As, and choose Word Template from the Save as Type drop-down menu. Enter a name for the custom template and click Save.
- Now click on File in MS Word, and choose New. In the dialog box that pops up next, choose My Templates. Then, choose the template you created earlier and click OK.
Advanced Troubleshooting Steps for Printing Issues
Use the below step as a last resort to troubleshoot printing problems on Windows; this is applicable for issues such as local print spooler service is not running. Note that to resolve the print spooler error, first you need to try restarting it. If changing the spooler’s properties or settings does not fix the error, you might have to reinstall the printer driver as well.
Delete and Reinstall the Printer Driver
- Exit all running programs on Windows 7, click Start, and choose Devices and Printers from the Start
- Right-click on the default printer, and choose Remove Device. Double-check that the right printer is selected upon prompt, and click on Yes to confirm your action. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- After removing the installed printer on Windows and its related files, reinstall the driver. For that, click Start button, and go to Devices and Printers once again.
- Now click on Add a printer button, and follow the instructions mentioned in the pop-up wizard to install the printer driver on Windows.
After that, open the Word document that you cannot print and see to it if reinstalling the driver, even fixing print spooler error in the process, has cleared the printing problem on MS Word. If you are still experiencing the error, get in touch with our printer tech support team for further assistance.